Maintaining a swimming pool can seem complicated and overwhelming. There are certain steps you should take to get the most out of your pool, and everyone has a different way of doing it. Fortunately, we have a very simple 3 step system for you to follow.
Step 1. Sanitize – To Clean Water
Killing bacteria and preventing algae is a vital step. Sanitizers are the key ingredients of proper pool maintenance. Chlorine keeps the water clear, protected from bacteria, and helps control algae.
SilkGuard Complete® Tabs/Sticks
- All pools. All pumps. All applications.
- Unique compressed blue sanitizer tabs or sticks that dissolve much slower when the pump is turned off due to our SmartGuard® technology.
- Contains algae fighting crystals for improved performance
Step 2. Shock – To Remove Contaminants
Destroying organic contaminants* from the environment and bathers is important! Shocking your pool water is a needed step for proper pool maintenance. Shocks or oxidizers chemically destroy organic contaminants, remove combined chlorine and help restore water clarity.
- BioGuard’s best to kill bacteria, oxidize, buffer and clarify your water
- Contains blue algae killing crystals
- Treat and swim in as soon as 15 minutes
Step 3. Algicide – To Kill And Prevent Algae Growth
Prevent algae before it becomes an issue. The addition of algicide is needed for proper pool maintenance. Sanitizers or shock/oxidizers alone may not keep algae at bay and this step is needed to keep your pool completely clear of any growth. Not all Algicides kill AND prevent algae growth. Make sure yours does both for the easiest maintenance.
- BioGuard’s most complete and best performing algicide
- Dual active ingredients to both prevent and kill algae
- Non-staining and non-foaming
Step 4. Clarifier – To Keep Your Pool As Clear As HD
This is an optional but highly recommended add-on to the weekly maintenance 3 Step System. Water enhancers not only get rid of cloudy water and make it brilliantly clear but also help your filter work more efficiently.
Why take the additional step of an enhancer?
Your pool is your investment. Having beautiful, sparkling clean water allows you to enjoy spending time in your pool. Enhancers bring out the beauty in your water and keep your filter working at maximum efficiency so you have more time in the pool instead of outside of it.
- 3-in-1 high intensity weekly formula adds the final touch to any pool program
- Keeps water AMAZINGLY clear
- Prevents build-up around the pool waterline
- Continuously removes phosphate to the filter
Properly taking care of your pool involves an easy once-a-week routine and about an hour of your time. (Even less time with a robotic cleaner.) We recommend picking one day every week to set aside some time to do the following steps:
- Clean the pool. Brush the walls, skim the surface of the water, and vacuum the floor. Add water to the pool if needed.
- Clean out your skimmer and pump baskets.
- Backwash or clean your filter if needed. Backwashing or cleaning the filter is needed when the PSI rises 10-12 pounds over the starting pressure. If you’re not sure of the starting pressure, give your filter a full chemical cleaning with Strip Kwik and Kleen It and make note of the pressure when you start it back up again.
- Add your weekly maintenance 3 step system.
- Test the pool water for Chlorine, pH, and Alkalinity. Balance accordingly.
Bring us a sample of water for a FREE water test once a month. The strips or drops work well for checking the pH and Chlorine on a short-term basis, but you will want a more detailed analysis to check for metals, Hardness, CYA, and TDS levels.